Saturday, April 1, 2017

Spending Time With Your Patron Saint

A patron saint is someone who you choose upon confirmation, though it doesn't have to just be that. Some people also call on a saint who can guide them through their jobs or hobbies. For example, my confirmation saint is St. Francis of Assisi. However, I also have St. Cecilia, the patron saint of music, that I pray to whenever I start to play the guitar or the piano. Then there is St. Dymphna, the patron of mental health and those who suffer from mental illness, whom I pray to because I am in the mental health profession.

Whoever it is, a patron saint enters your life for many reasons: they are your accountability partner, helping you grow in grace. They are your protector, your prayer partner, and your friend. Sometimes we forget that in our everyday life, we have heavenly friends surrounding us and helping us through each day, praying and encouraging us to keep the faith. They do so much for us.

So today I was thinking, wouldn't it be nice to do something for them?

There is plenty of things we could do to get to know them better, to honor them, and to grow close to them. For example, on St. Francis' feast day (October 4th) I usually go and have my pets blessed, or I might give to a charity in his name. There are also plenty of chaplets and novenas dedicated to him. I got a lovely little chaplet rosary off of etsy yesterday, and cannot wait to use it to pray his chaplet. I will have to post a picture when it arrives. 

Read about your patron too. Get to know them, all about them. Remember every single saint was once like us, and it's okay to stumble, because they did too.

In some parts of the world they have elaborate celebrations, with food and processions. If you are able to attend one, by all means! Have fun and celebrate. 

Finally, go visit them at a shrine. National shrines dedicated to a saint can be found in many places in the U.S. and around the world. Light a candle and just spend some time with them. Get to know your heavenly friends and remember you are never alone, and there is always someone praying for you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment